Bilal Tanweer - 917-476-6267
Maryam Arif - 857-383-8047
New York, NY -- November 18th, 2007:
We, the New York Students' Pakistan Action Committee, Asia-American Network Against Abuse of Human Rights (ANAA), members of Pakistani community in New York and the tristate area, and friends of Pakistan, are demonstrating to condemn the reprehensible and brazen attack on the independence of judiciary, media, suspension of the constitution and fundamental rights in Pakistan by General Pervez Musharraf. We strongly protest against the imposition of Martial Law by General Pervez Musharraf in Pakistan on Saturday, November 3, 2007.
We demand General Musharraf to:
1. Immediately restore the 1973 Constitution and the fundamental rights of the Pakistani people.
2. Restore the pre-martial law judicial system and reinstate the judges forcibly 'removed'.
3. Release all the judges, lawyers, human rights activists, politicians and civil society activists who have been arrested.
4. Stop interference with the media and withdraw the restrictions on T.V. channels to operate freely.
5. Strike down the draconian measures being used to curb the media’s freedom especially the ‘code of conduct’ promulgated through the Amended Press Ordinance. Allow the broadcast of electronic media and remove any censorship curbs which have been imposed under the Emergency Law.
6. Strike down the amendment in the Army Act which allows the military courts to try civilians.
7. Hold free and fair elections to restore true democracy in Pakistan and put an end to involvement of armed forces in Pakistani politics.
We especially condemn the clamp-down of GEO Television network and the extraordinary measures taken to cause financial losses to the network. We demand the restoration of basic rights in Pakistan and the return to democracy.